It is named “ Western Sahara ” and there is a dashed line in the north towards Morocco . This is due to the status as a “Non-Self-Governing Territory” the U.N has given it.
About 20% of the territory is controlled by the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, while the remaining 80% of the territory is occupied and administered by neighboring Morocco . Its surface area amounts to 266,000 square kilometres (103,000 sq mi).
November 6, 1975
2.1 Kingdom of Morocco . 2.2 Polisario Front and Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic. 2.3 Mauritania. 2.4 Algeria . 2.5 United Nations.
How Safe is Western Sahara ? There is currently a cease-fire between the Moroccan government and the POLISARIO Front. The majority of safety concerns are related to unexploded landmines from the conflict. Beware of aggressive theft and harassment (especially if you are a woman).
Berm, terrace of a beach that has formed in the backshore, above the water level at high tide. Berms are commonly found on beaches that have fairly coarse sand and are the result of the deposition of material by low-energy waves.
Spanish Sahara (Spanish: Sahara Español; Arabic: الصحراء الإسبانية As-Sahrā’a Al-Isbānīyah), officially the Province of the Sahara between 1958 and 1976, was the name used for the modern territory of Western Sahara when it was occupied and ruled by Spain between 1884 and 1976.
Sunni Islam is the major religion in Western Sahara. Sunni Muslims constitute about 99.9% of the population . Prior to 1975 there were over 20,000 Roman Catholics in Western Sahara but as of 2007 there were only around 100.
The de facto capital city of Western Sahara is Tafariti. It has been the capital of the region since 2011 and is the headquarters of the 2nd military region of the SADR.
Morocco has enjoyed a vibrant relationship with the United States since time immemorial. In 1777, Morocco was the first country in the world to formally acknowledge the United States as an independent nation.
1884 – Spain colonises Western Sahara , an area formerly populated by Berber tribes. 1934 – Becomes a Spanish province known as Spanish Sahara . 1957 – Newly-independent Morocco lays centuries-old claim to Western Sahara .
Morocco’s main enemies in Africa are Nigeria, South Africa and Algeria and the main reason is the Moroccan Sahara. You should know that in politics there are no friends and there are no ennemies, there are only interests.
Morocco has occupied the larger parts of Western Sahara since 1975, and the UN has stated that any further oil exploration is illegal unless it takes place in accordance with the wishes of the people of the territory. The oil companies involved have made no efforts to seek the consent of the Saharawi people.
Algerian troops intervened in support of Polisario in January 1976, resulting in the death of 30 Algerian soldiers. Spain withdrew its troops from Spanish Sahara on January 12, 1976, and Spain’s presence in the territory formally ended on February 26, 1976. Morocco immediately claimed sovereignty over the territory.
November 14, 1975